Sweet Potato 'Murasaki'
Unique white-fleshed sweet potato with distinct nutty flavor.
NOTE: This product can only be shipped within Ireland and the UK
Sweet, potato. 'Murasaki', a purple-skinned Japanese sweet potato is a summer standout with distinctive nutty flavor. The purple beauty's soft white flesh is loaded with Vitamin C and dietary fiber.
Sweet potatoes are becoming increasingly popular as part of a healthy diet in Europe. Home production of Sweet potato can be done in big plastic containers, on the patio and therefore makes the crop available for a wider range of consumers.
This crop is especially interesting for younger people without a garden who want to grow something special and have been travelling to countries like USA, Australia, Middle East and many of the Pacific Islands where Sweet potato is a common vegetable.
The dietary advantages of Sweet potato are now well recognised and even
recommended by dieticians for very young babies beginning their solid food diets.
- Optimum of 5 months of continuous growing between 10 and 30°C required
- ‘tuber’ growth starting during the shortening days
- Well draining, sandy soils, pH 6 to 7, minimum 20 to 30 cm deep
- Planting of the rooted cuttings in rows 1 m apart, 30 cm within the
rows or in individual growing containers
- Water in when planting the rooted cuttings, but overwatering during
the growing period can cause root damage
- Requires less fertilizer than most vegetable crops so do not overfeed
- Keep weed free during growing
- Relatively free of pest and disease problems, but can have root rots caused by Fusarium in cold and wet soil conditions
- Harvest in warm and dry weather
- Harvest before the first frost and with care as sweet potatoes are sensitive to bruising
- Store the roots over 25 °C and a minimum relative humidity of 90% for 2 weeks to heal the wounds, reduce weight loss and convert the starches into sugars
- Savour the Sweet potatoes boiled, mashed or fried accompanied by a nice glass of chilled white wine.
Sweet potatoes are :
- fat-free and cholesterol-free
- have only 130 calories per serving (one medium potato)
- are a good source of fibre – 3.9 grams
- are an excellent source of:
Vitamin A – 7860 IU/serving
Vitamin C – 29.51 mg/serving
Potassium – 265.2 mg/serving
Calcium – 28.6 mg/serving
Iron – 0.79 mg/serving
Folate – 18.2 mcg/serving
What you need to know
- Size: Supplied in 9cm pot
- An Item Price of €2 each for 10
or more Sweet Potato 'Murasaki''s purchased